Welcome back to the Not So Wimpy Teacher podcast!
Do you love teaching reading? Whether your answer is yes or no, I know you will find so much value in this episode!
I invited a good friend of mine, Sara Marye, to join us on the podcast today. Sara is a former teacher and administrator and she has a huge love for teaching reading. More specifically, she really wants to help her students find their love for reading and has so many great strategies to share!
Today we are specifically going to talk about using different genres to get our students excited about reading. Yes, genres! Interesting right?
Episode 74 Takeaways:
- We’re all readers, you just have to find the right book for you.
- Give your kids books that make them excited to read.
- Let them decide what books they really like.
- Genre helps students identify their reading preferences.
- When students have a solid understanding of genre, it gives them a roadmap to understand the texts that they’re reading.
- Be intentional about using your read-alouds to introduce students to a wide range of genres.
- You can include picture books in your read-alouds.
- Give your students the tools to help them understand each genre.
- You can study genres in your book clubs.
- Validate your students’ reading preferences.
I love learning new ways to get students excited about reading but have never thought about using genres this way!
Take a look at the resources below to learn more about Sara, and catch some of the goodies that she shares with you in today’s episode.
I’d love to know what other ideas you come up with, so head over to Instagram @notsowimpyteacher to share those with me!